I don’t mean to alarm you, but Valentine’s Day is technically less than 6 hours away, which means if you haven’t decided on what to do/make/eat yet, your other half might go running for the hills (well, let’s hope not). In order to save you from a potential doomsday, I’ve picked out a few of my absolutely favorite desserts in Austin, that really keep me and my taste buds happy. Hopefully they can do the same for you and yours this V-day. Don’t live in the Austin area? Have no fear, take a peak below at some DIY treats for you and your boo.
1. No surprise here. This first stop takes you to heaven and back; Gourdough’s donuts. I personally recommend the trailer over the brick and mortar (unless you’re craving the whole meal AKA a burger with a donut bun). The line may be around the block but it’s totally worth the wait. Still to this day, the Granny’s Pie donut is my #1 favorite bite in all of Austin. Trust me, these lips don’t lie.
2. You may start to see a trend here with this next dish at Salty Sow, a quaint little restaurant (which packs in the flavor) over on the East side of town. If you love bananas as much as I do, then you’re gonna go nuts for these Banana Foster Beignets. Complete with nutmeg ice cream and drizzled honey, it’s honestly finger lickin’ good.
3. Fairly new in town is the latest ice cream lovers dream; Dolce Neve. This place is actually the real deal. Not only do they make this award winning gelato right in front of you, they use the freshest ingredients and the people are incredibly nice! Each day they have new flavors, depending on what’s in season, I mean their California pistachio?! I die.
4. Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you gluten free and vegan folks. I dabble in the GF zone from time to time myself, but regardless, I can always find something delicious at Thai Fresh Cafe and Bakery. This place is a hidden gem and although I don’t mind it that way, the world needs to know about it. You would never guess ALL their ice cream is vegan (Thai tea is amazing) and their baked goods, gluten free. Mind blowing, I’d say.
5. Hyde Park Bar and Grill, home of the most decedent, peach pudding known to mankind. Not the most glamorous place you’d think of taking your one and only, but as we all know those hole in the wall spots, are where it’s at. If bread pudding of any sort is your kryptonite, then you MUST give this a spin.
6. This place is the bees knees. Moonshine is an Austin staple in my personal opinion and the best part… all of their desserts are my from scratch, right there in the back of house. I’ve been frequenting this place since transplanting to the south years ago, for their sweet potato pecan pie, which is the size of Texas. But really, every one of their desserts are great! Peanut butter chocolate mousse (with oreo pie crust) anyone?
There’s nothing better than whipping up a new recipe for date night with your #1. If you’re not in the Austin area or just simply feel like staying away from all the ‘love in the air’, here are some incredibly easy, delicious and playful treats that will keep y’all in the valentines’ mood!
Hopefully these can sweeten up your Valentine’s Day and make it extra special. Do you have any favorite dessert spots or recipes I should know about? Please send my way, I’d love to try them out! xoxo