For many people, January marks the time of new beginnings. Clearly, I’m a little behind since it’s already late February… whoops. The feeling of a fresh start is very therapeutic for many, including myself, so I decided to dedicate this post on some organization tips that help me get through the winter chill, to a feeling of self fulfillment within my home. This means time for organizing my jewelry, bookshelf AND a major closet purge – check!
To start this off, I decided to dive head first into my living room bookshelf situation. Tackling book after book, mixed with random sentimental keepsakes can be a daunting task, but I came up with a few tricks to make this easy as pie:
1. Books don’t need to be arranged in any specific order, as long as they are lined up by height (for the most part). Have fun with it, no need to get to OCD with color coding, arranging by topic or anything – they are just books.
2. Arrange your stacks of books in two different ways for more depth – either laying flat, or standing upright against the wall. Make sure the cover/title is displayed.
3. Add those momentoes. I’m not a big fan of having photos around the house (other than my fridge), so I go wild here. I add my favorite photos in unique frames and layer them along each shelf. That way, you’ll always have that memory right there in front of you.
4. That cute trinket your friend brought you back from Bali, add it on top a stack of books. This is the place to showcase the things that make you smile, even that vintage dish tray you couldn’t pass up and now use as a coin collector.
5. Some may disagree with me here, but I really appreciate fake flowers. I know, its terrible, but they are SO perfect for adding a pop of color where a real bouquet wouldn’t make it a day. Perhaps a small cactus would do? Either way, low maintenance baby.